Saturday 25 February 2012

Fiddle Leaf Fig

When I was a child indoor plants were very popular. I remember my Mum having various types in our home.

These days indoor plants seem to make less of an appearance in our homes, in some ways I think it's a bit of a shame. Plants play a vital role in keeping our air quality high, which should be important not only outside, but in our homes too.

If you have never given thought to having an indoor plant, I'm about to introduce you to one one that I think you will want to rush out and buy! The plant I'm talking about has various names but is most commonly called the Fiddle Leaf Fig. It is also called the Banjo Fig or Ficus lyrata (for those of you still using Latin regularly!). For many years it has been popular with interior designers as it has a great structure, provides real organic shape and grows very large, making a real statement.

Plant experts describe it as "having large, glossy, tropical looking leaves shaped like the base of a violin. It's hardy, doesn't drop its leaves and indoors it is virtually unkillable". That last bit makes it my kind of plant! I have one in my home and so far the unkillable part definitely seems to be true....thankfully.

Here are some images of Fiddle Leaf Figs in interiors.







All images sourced from Pinterest

Beautiful, structural, organic and good for your air quality all-in-one, what isn't to love about a fiddle leaf fig!?!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this! I have seen this indoor plant recently and have been trying to fine out what it's called- now I know! I saw a science program about the fact that indoor plants naturally purify the air so I'm going to go an buy one!

    ReplyDelete