Thursday 29 March 2012

Bathroom Trend

A new trend seems to be emerging in bathroom design. Many designs I'm coming across now are featuring fireplaces (yes I know I'm really on the fireplace bandwagon at the moment!).

Bathrooms have long been a place of relaxation and indulgence. You have a fireplace in your living room for warmth and to create a relaxing, cozy atmosphere, so why not your bathroom too? Of course in history bathroom fireplaces were to provide warmth. These days our houses are generally well and efficiently heated, so a fireplace in a bathroom really is considered a luxury.

I still can't decide which type of fireplace is best suited for a bathroom location. Wall mounted fireplaces are great, as they are in your direct line of vision as you lay back in the bath unwinding and watching the flickering light. On the other hand, I'm not sure if having a fireplace at head height, whilst being submerged in hot water would result in you feeling as though you're being lowered into a volcano!

The more traditional style, floor fireplaces are just as beautiful, though work best when set opposite the bath so you can view them at more of a distance. 

Needless to say, in this day and age, gas or electric fireplaces are really the only way to go in bathrooms. Lugging a pile of wood into the bathroom before fiddling about with kindling, fire starters and matches, is probably taking away from the relaxing mind set you are trying to obtain.

(As a quick side note - I am so in love with the beautiful tile chosen for the wall surrounding the fire in the first photo. It works so beautifully in the bathroom).






An indulgence it may be, but I think they are definitely worth the investment for anyone that likes to spend some time soaking the day away in the tub!

5 comments:

  1. I'm such a fan of fireplaces and would love one in the bathroom only if it didn't get too hot. My parents had a fireplace in their upstairs bedroom when I was growing up and it wasn't ever used because it got so hot. Thanks for the pretty pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder about that Lisa and given bathrooms are normally even smaller than bedrooms, it probably would be an issue. Perhaps one of those electric ones that are more for effect and don't heat would be better!

      Delete
  2. I would love to have one! But the lack of enough space in bathrooms is the great problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Tatiana. Mind you if the bathroom is large enough for a fireplace that probably means is more of a hassle to have to clean all that extra space!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your nice comment! I feel so badly that with Easter and family in town, I've been too busy to respond. I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things very soon and catch up on my favorite blogs!! Hope you had a great Easter!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete